Saturday, August 22, 2009

6 days in NM: day 3 - yes, more food


First off, for those of you thinking that all I do is travel and eat, I'll have you know that I spent four hours yesterday afternoon at the Santa Fe Library, working away on a project for a client on deadline. Four hours - can you stand it?

Clearly, I needed sustenance after such a grueling day. We went to the highly recommended Cafe Pasqual's, which serves upscale Southwestern food. When will I learn that I never like places like this as much as I like places like Los Potrillos?

The place is quite funky, in that quirky way that some restaurants have that can seem a bit precious. But it's got a good vibe and friendly waitstaff, including our waiter, who turned out to be the wine buyer for the restaurant and was verging on giddy when I ordered a bottle off his list (a Lagaria riesling from Trentino that was absolutely wonderful) that clearly doesn't get a lot of action.

I started with hamachi ceviche that was perfectly fine, but not amazing. Then I had chard and zucchini enchiladas with red chile and cilantro rice; the chile was too bitter for me, the rice was kind of dry, and the filling was good but felt a bit eh.

It was a good, solid meal, in a nice spot, but - especially considering the price difference - I'll take Los Potrillos, thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment