Friday, August 21, 2009

6 days in New Mexico: day 2 - earlier that day...









I was so eager to relive my meal at Geronimo that I neglected to post about my afternoon. We went to the St Francis of Assisi cathedral, which had such a fascinating hodgepodge of iconography, from amazing primitive-style Stations of the Cross,



to altar paintings that looked almost like New England folk art,



to a Crucifixion scene above the confessionals that I bet scares people into some serious "Bless me Father for I have sinned" moments,



to a lurid plaster statue of Christ on the cross that I couldn't even bring myself to photograph (something about the wig really freaked me out).

We also went to the International Folk Art Museum, which has an incredible collection donated by Alexander Girard who, with his wife, traveled all over the world buying up every bit of folk art he could find. You can clearly see what inspired his own designs.

When we left the museum, the sky was doing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment